The Story of a Scholarship
The One City Scholarship Fund is a project developed by Toronto teachers on behalf of students with financial need who have excelled academically in spite of obstacles.Too often there are incredible students in high schools throughout Toronto who have so much potential for post-secondary achievement, but very little support as they struggle through poverty, stigma, and various other circumstantial disadvantages.
Funds have been raised for multi-year scholarships for post-secondary education at college and university.
$1500 in your first year of studies – September, 2018
$1000 in your second year of studies – September, 2019
Four students received a One City Scholarship in 2018.
You are a candidate for the One City Scholarship if:
- you are currently a full-time student at a high school in the Toronto District School Board
- you will attend college or university in September, 2018
- you have demonstrated academic strength and shown potential for future success
- you will apply for the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) and you can demonstrate financial need
- you have been involved in your school and community and/or there are significant challenges in your life that pull on your time, preventing extracurricular commitments
Here's what you need to do:
- fill out the attached application for 2019, which will be available in February, 2019. You will need two references, one of whom is a teacher.
- be available for a workshop. A short-list of candidates are required to attend a half-day workshop.
- be ready and willing to join a growing mentorship circle. One City is a scholarship aimed at students who will benefit from money and mentorship. Recipients will grow to become mentors to other post-secondary students.
Key dates for applicants:
- Applications available: Monday, February 4th, 2019
- Applications due: Friday, April 26th, 2019 by 10:00pm
- A short-list of applicants will receive invitations to the workshop the week of April 29th, 2019.
- Workshop date: TBA
- Successful candidates announced and notified: TBA
Questions about the application? Contact us Here.